terça-feira, maio 18, 2010

Kimberly Vandenberg Interview by Beba Água

Hi Kim, how are you?
Hi; Yes I am doing well thank you.
This is the 2rd time in Coimbra & Portugal. Did you become a fan of this Meeting?
Yes I am a big fan of the Coimbra meeting and of Portugal, Last year I had a wonderful time swimming, meeting new people, and eating the delicous food, especially the Octopus! I am very looking forward to Competing again in a couple weeks and seeing familiar faces.
… of the facilities?
The Facilities were one of the best I have seen in Europe, a very open facility and a fast pool with a lot of space for warmup, stretching, and preparing for races. Many pools throughout Europe so not compare to the facilities in Coimbra.
What are your main goals for this Meeting?
My Goals for this Meeting are to swim fast, Work my race details, and enjoy the competition. After French Nationals we took a little time off to regroup for the next training cycle leading into Summer Nationals, this will be my first meeting of this training period.
… and for the rest of the season? American Trials & Pan-Pac’s?
My Goals for the rest of the season are to get back to my top times at my USA Trials and then after Pan Pac Games. I have many meets leading into the summer so I have a specific training plan to follow.
At French Nationals in Saint-Raphaël you beat Sara Oliveira in 50, 100 and 200 fly. She is the Portuguese record holder with 27.63, 59.48 and 2:10.14. Will be hard to beat her again?
Yes I know of Sara Oliveira and I am looking forward to swim with her again in Coimbra, It's always better to have someone pushing you in a race, its more exciting. She is a very talented athlete and I always look forward to racing the best. We will have fun, thats for sure!
Do you know any other Portuguese swimmers?
I have seen many Portuguese swimmers at competitions throughout the world and unfortunately I do not know many very well, hopefully this will change when I come back to Coimbra.
After 2 crazy years with the poly-suits, are you ok with this new FINA restriction? Do you agree with this step?
I am happy with the FINA restrictions and I agree with the step in the system. The past few years People were only talking about what suit others are wearing and it took the attention away from the Work and the Dedication Athletes put into the sport, In a way it was an advancement in sport, but I believe in having rules and regulations when it comes to these suits.
What changed in your training?
This year the main change in my training has been my strength and speed, I have worked harder in dryland circuits, weight room, and have felt the benefits in the pool. The next few months i will develop my base training for my 200 races and bring it all together for the U.S. Nationals this August.
Do you think that is possible to beat your personal records this season? Ever?
I think that anything is possible if you believe in yourself. Yes I do think i will beat my personal records hopefully this season but if not this year then the next. I know what I need to change to improve and I am determined to reach my goals.
You’re now based in Marselha. Why do you prefer to be in Europe instead USA?
I am in Marseille now and have really enjoyed the process of learning new perspectives on the sport and on life. I think it's very important to put yourself in new environments in order to see improvement. I loved training in the USA but I always felt the desire to travel and learn about other cultures and people. This is the perfect opportunity for me to do two things I love, Swim and Learn about others.
What are the main differences?
The Main difference for me is that Now I am training with team full of elite athletes from all over the world, there are many different cultures within our group, mainly the French of course, but others as well. It's an opportunity to learn from others and give what knowledge I have of the sport back, Its a blend of talent, experience, and support that I really enjoy being part of.
After the bronze medal in Beijing’08 (4x200 free prelims - 1:58.31) and the silver medal in Melbourne’07 (200 fly - 2:06.71), your best is yet to come?
I do believe my best is yet to come, I missed the Olympic team in 2008 in the 200 fly which is what I was planning to make the team in, I still have unfinished business in the pool and have dreams for myself that exceed what I have already accomplished thus far. It's only two years away from London and I have my eyes set for my goals.
Have a great Meet!!! And enjoy Coimbra & Portugal… Bye-Bye
Thanks so much, See you soon!!!

- Site Associação Académica de Coimbra
- Site Meeting Cidade de Coimbra
- Regulamento do III Meeting Cidade de Coimbra (inclui Recordes do Meeting)
- Entrevista Beba Água a Randall Bal
- Entry-List III Meeting Cidade de Coimbra

Etiquetas:

7 Comments:

Anonymous contazulejos said...

Discurso parecido em determinados pontos com o do Randall, nomeadamente no "have fun" no prazer em nadar e competir, novas experiências....muito interessante, até porque acho que só assim se alcançam longas carreiras.

terça-feira, maio 18, 2010 10:25:00 da manhã  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Que estrondo de mulher... e o seu discurso, tal como o Randall Bal, tem em comum aquilo que o contazulejos diz, "HAVE FUN", que é coisa que a malta se esquece muitas vezes... GO KIM!!

terça-feira, maio 18, 2010 10:59:00 da manhã  
Anonymous mergulhador said...

BA.
só foste falar com ela, a ver se a engatavas, o blog é só uma desculpa para o fazeres

quarta-feira, maio 19, 2010 11:06:00 da manhã  
Blogger Beba Água said...

chegou um mergulhador ao blog e cheio de piada
achas que foi a Marselha entrevistá-la? o meeting é só daqui a 10 dias ;)

quarta-feira, maio 19, 2010 11:11:00 da manhã  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Meus caros amigos, com colegas destas também eu "have fun" em treinar.

quarta-feira, maio 19, 2010 6:06:00 da tarde  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Na França também há boas condições para estudar/treinar? O pessoal de topo que anda por lá já não são considerados "jovens" ;)

A FPN em vez de ir a Tenerife e afins fazer sempre a mesma coisa, podia muito bem ir a França e meter os nossos craques a trabalhar com os craques de lá. Isso sim, era motivação para os nossos Tugas melhorarem e aprenderem bastante. Há nadadores de topo mundial que fazem isso ;)

quarta-feira, maio 19, 2010 6:42:00 da tarde  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

podiam era traduzir a entrevista lol

quinta-feira, maio 20, 2010 2:40:00 da tarde  

Enviar um comentário

<< Home